Taken from The 4 Habits of Joy-Filled Marriages (page 99) by Dr. Marcus Warner and Chris M. Coursey
Here is your opportunity to practice the exercise that transformed my marriage and led to some really good sleep.
1. While holding hands or cuddling, take turns practicing the following steps. Be sure you both practice the first step before moving on. Include daily examples for each appreciation step if possible. [10 mins]
Appreciation from my day: Share three highlights from your day.
Appreciation for my beloved: Share three things you appreciate about your spouse.
Appreciation for God (or your topic of choice): Share three things you appreciate about this topic.
2. Discuss what you notice after practicing appreciation. [3 mins]
3. Close with several minutes of quiet cuddling and resting together. [2 mins]
Taken from Transforming Fellowship (page 79) by Chris M. Coursey
1. You will need a friend for this exercise.
2. First, identify three things from your day that you feel thankful for.
Give examples and take turns sharing. An example looks like this: “I am grateful for the opportunity to walk this evening. It was good to get outside and move around. I felt refreshed. What a beautiful evening it was!” Follow with two more examples from the day.
3. Next, identify three qualities you appreciate about the other person.
Give examples from the day and take turns sharing. An example looks like this: “I appreciate your hospitality this afternoon when our friend stopped by. You were quick to offer her a drink and you checked to be sure she was comfortable. You work hard to help our visitors feel welcome in our home. I like this about you!” Follow with two more qualities and reasons for these examples. If you are single, improvise with a friend or use your journal to write about someone you know. You can read it to your pal later for an extra boost of Skill 4 goodness.
4. Last, name three qualities about God you feel thankful for.
Give examples from the day and take turns sharing. An example looks like this: “I am grateful for the ways God cares for us. We have food at our table and I can look back on my life and see how God has led us here.” Follow this up with two more qualities about God you enjoy.